Would the sheep know they’d be slaughtered? well, no they wouldn’t and so wouldn’t the credulous commoner being shepherded to his own peril in this manifestation of “New Age Hybrid Warfare“.
Been watching, letting it go sipping my ale and then it just kept growing, grown to the audacity of biting my conscience. That ideology, that “cool generation’s ignorance” which serves a catalyst to the whole plan of disintegrating, shredding this great nation to pieces, that pretentious, chichi little celebrities using their charm to woo some more sheep pushing an agenda that would eventually slaughter us all, the sheep included. Enough! that just bit me out of my slumber and here i write to tear into some “Breaking India – Annihilating me and my existence forces”.
Well then, i know already that my writing style isn’t pretty direct and i like to dribble with words, oh yes today i chose a serious affair to talk about and i lay all my propensities to rest and write as direct as a 7.62X51 MM bullet fired from a hardened sniper rifle. I WRITE ABOUT THE HYBRID WARFARE WE FACE AND I WRITE WITH ALL MY HEART!
You are pulling that pin on yourself slowly but surely!
War! well my friend, you are not interested in that heinous act, war is interested in you, that’s on a prowl, scouting your streets. The callow ones wouldn’t agree though, the war is ubiquitous, its everywhere and it is biting you nimble and there are those cunning ones who wouldn’t let you feel the pain till you bleed out the last ounce of life!
– Someone Opinionated
Yeah, that warfare that tends to drain you out, eat you hollow and kill you as you lay in slumber is called Hybrid Warfare and unfortunately it has started biting you already. The recent experience i gained interacting with young boys and girls who would just share anything that looks cool online on social media platforms is that people don’t even know what ramifications their one act of careless, cool looking online behavior can have. They form an opinion without even an ounce of knowledge about any serious subject and then start sharing propaganda material for the same, least would they know that they are being used as skateboards for someone else’s sinister purpose that would eventually come to haunt themselves. That is one particular streak of behavior our online generation has that assists Hybrid Warfare.
Hybrid Warfare is a Military Strategy which employs political Warfare and blends conventional Warfare, Irregular Warfare and Cyber Warfare with other Influencing methods such as fake news, Diplomacy, Lawfare and Foreign electoral intervention.
CERTAIN PECULIARITIES OF HYBRID WARFARE :
- Waged by state, non state actors or combination thereof
- Employment of all forces and capabilities at disposal
- Targets cognitive domain with population as target and means
- No limitations of time in achieving the aim
“Why be in a messy war when you can just light a fire and watch people fight among-st themselves”
That would just sum it all up, why would your enemy fight a war when he can just light a fire and see you fighting among-st yourselves? that is the best case scenario for him and that is what your enemy has come to now and mind you, you are assisting him too. The Hybrid Warfare targets the minds and also uses the minds from within the target population for propaganda which allows the enemy to recruit propaganda agents without any cost and the agents in turn ruin their own nation or society. The aim of any kind of warfare is just to destroy the enemy, various means and techniques have been used in past for the destruction of adversary’s military thus subjugating him however in modern times, destruction is not limited to only military targets. Population and Institutions are prime target of this new-age warfare. Minds are targeted under hybrid warfare strategy for propaganda and these minds further keep the propaganda on as a chain reaction specifically now in the age of Whatsapp and other social media tools. Adversary just waits and sees the manifestation of his plan without a direct involvement.
“Propaganda is not a flawed description but a script for action”
HYBRID WARFARE IS THE BEST STRATEGY FOR A WEAKER PAKISTAN TO TAKE ON MUCH STRONGER BUT DIVERSE INDIA : DIVERSITY AND RESULTING FRACTURE LINES ARE EXPLOITED
Ingredients for Hybrid warfare
- Diversity – Ethnic, Religion, Caste, Linguistic : Though traditionally diversity in our nation has been treated as a strength, it brings with it many fracture lines and those make a nation susceptible to hybrid warfare which tends to exploit the fracture lines to break the nation eventually.
- Socioeconomic differences : Well, that can be a common factor for any nation, all nations have Socioeconomic differences and that is not specific to India but it remains a factor which can be exploited for waging a hybrid campaign. Naxal problem India is a perfect example of its exploitation.
- Partition – 1947 and its aftermaths : Jinnah’s Pakistan was carved out of India in 1947 and though Indian leadership chose moral high grounds with adopting secularism, the partition left a scar and a mistrust between the two largest communities i.e. Hindu and Muslim and that mistrust continues to be exploited.
- Historic Schism : Islamic Invasions and campaigns against native Hindus has left its footprint in ruined temples and certain mosques. One man’s hero is other man’s savage plunderer, that sure adds up to the friction and differences that can be exploited.
- Corruption : Corruption in the nation leaves so many hurt individuals forming part of the “Have not” clergy. These may be someone financially hurt, emotionally persecuted or an unemployed, underprivileged individuals, they sure make good candidates to be exploited.
- Unabated political vendetta : Political parties have shown in past that they won’t exhibit any ethics and would go to any neighborhood for gaining power. Refer Mr Mani Shankar Aiyer of the Congress making a statement to Pakistani media while in Pakistan, he actually called upon Pakistan to help Congress thwart Mr Modi. Does Political ambition score over national interest?
Some quintessential Hybrid Characteristics and their manifestation in Indian context:
- Cost vs benefits : Hybrid is way more rewarding for Pakistan than a conventional war against a stronger enemy India.
- Threatening the stability of the nation without crossing the threshold to conventional war : Pakistan’s involvement in Kashmir is a direct example.
- Deniability : Hybrid warfare waged through unconventional means i.e. not directly involving Pakistan’s military gives it an advantage of denying any hand in a terrorist attack, Parliament,26/11 and Pulwama attacks are blatant and glaring examples. Here it must be remembered how people within India handed over deniability on a platter to Pakistan for their ulterior political motives and blamed RSS for 26/11 attack ( refer Aziz Burney’s book – RSS ki Sazish). Another twist of deniability to Pakistan was provided by the politicians across India who questioned the Armed Forces after the Surgical Strikes even to an extent asking proof and denying its occurrence. All Pakistan had to do was just sing along the chorus.
- Deep and Long-term Impact: Hybrid warfare which in itself includes propaganda and information warfare leaves a long term impact on generations and eventually the generations from within the target nation start working for disintegration of the nation. you may refer to the “khalistani” and “kashmiri” separatism which today is supported by agitating so called “students” right in the National Capital Region.
- Lesser Safeguards under the law of the land as law amendments take time to catch up with the fast paced mutation of the hybrid warfare tactics.
- Lack of preparedness : Defence Forces are either not mandated to deal with the softer tools for the greater sinister ploy or keep themselves occupied with the harder upfront conventional threat and the softer, finer tools of hybrid warfare go unnoticed.
- Plays outside the domain of def forces mandate to operate : persistent use of “student politics” and universities being done to exploit the inability of the establishment to deal sternly with the so called “youth” and “students” allows the agents of hybrid warfare go unscathed.
- Hybrid play on a sub-critical level : Threshold of war flirted with, not crossed. Conventional mil kept as a deterrence and not overtly involved : reference may be drawn to Pakistan’s military providing training, recruitment, logistical and material support to Jihadi Terrorist groups but involving itself only as a credible deterrence to any credible Indian response.
- An ubiquitous yet deniable war : Hybrid warfare lets the enemy to take fight to the streets, ghettos and daily regimens of the target nation’s citizen, it surrounds the citizen with the credible achievement of war objectives but holds the ace up it’s sleeve, thats deniability. Here reference may be drawn to the violent agitations and riots by religious groups, “students”, “University Politicians”. Any agitation that threatens to or does actually stall the nation’s economic progress and dents its international image thus discouraging any fresh investments into the nation falls into the domain of hybrid warfare. JNU leftists have done enough harm on this account– “afzal hum sharminda hain”?
- Information and Intellectual domain : “The state of Pakistan has not deployed the army against its own people in the way that the democratic Indian state has.” – Miss Suzanne Arundhati Roy. Now statements like these only help annihilate the global image of our nation and a well disciplined army known to maintain high moral ethos.
- Lawfare : some eminent lawyers of supreme court forced the supreme court to open midnight in support of Terrorist Afzal Guru. They provide immunity to likes of Sharjeel Imam and Kanhaiya Kumar who blatantly work to break the country.
“A few clicks on your smart phone won’t make you as wise as a domain expert, unwittingly you’ll buy a narrative and an assumption of wisdom though, that my friend is a sinister combination”
THE ROLE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE : This picture shows the various tools of hybrid warfare however hybrid warfare’s picture can never be complete as the ambit of hybrid warfare keeps expanding with every visitation of a new technology, recent case in point can be social media and artificial intelligence. The Social media platforms has given audience to every common citizen who otherwise might have been absolutely inconsequential to the mass. Social media gives a conduit to propaganda in more than one way, advent of mobile phone and internet has dragged people away from a book reading habit to form some firm opinions and it has become easy for them to fall prey to the propaganda and further becoming a vehicle of its evangelism by sharing it further. Propaganda messages and videos go viral and the chain reaction ensues which cannot be stopped. Artificial Intelligence on the other hand captures the interest of the individuals and serve them the selective propaganda messages that they have liked or shared in past. ANY ATTEMPT BY THE ESTABLISHMENT TO STOP THE FISSION REACTION OF PROPAGANDA MESSAGES IS MOURNED AGAINST AS A WOUND TO BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS : reference here may be drawn to how government’s move to halt mobile internet services in Jammu and Kashmir is being protested against globally by a particular lobby in the name of human rights.
“Coordinated and synchronised actions that deliberately target democratic institutions and the very basis of existence of a nation state while exploiting the systemic susceptibilities just under the threshold of war, flirting with it though”
“Once you start attacking nationalism, national identity, territorial identity. As people then you don’t have to invent much, if that is destroyed there is nothing left”
—- and that my friend is already happening in India, if any doubts please see any protest by JNU students.
Shaheen Bagh protests are clearly not in support of the democracy and the constitution, it only takes a serious reading into the history of Islam, Shaheen Bagh is just a show of strength in line with the principles of Muslim brotherhood (UMMAH).
In the end i would sum it up to say, Hybrid warfare is happening in present times and you my compatriots are the target, tools, agents and means for the enemy to achieve his aim. It is you who will eventually decide the fate of this “Secular, Multi-linguistic, Multi-cultural, Ethnically diverse and Democratic” nation. Particularly the youth needs to use the social media responsibly and understand what one share would entail. India is a secular nation and we are all stakeholders in the existence of this nation, just be alive to this reality. If you be alive to your responsibilities the next time you are about to share something on social media, my entire write-up is successful or else, well, you are pulling that grenade’s pin on you, death won’t just be mine, you too have days numbered.